The skin on your face gets beat up every day as it’s attacked by wind, pollution, and sun exposure. This delicate outer layer of skin is your first impression to the world, and it’s up to you to take care of it. Developing a skincare routine for your face will help you allow your natural glow to keep shining through — day after day.
1. Determine Your Skin Type
It’s important to know what type of skin you’re dealing with before you decide on products or a skincare routine, so take the time to figure it out. If you choose products for the wrong skin type, they not only won’t work as well, but they may cause harm to your skin.
- Dry skin is rough, flaky, or scaly in areas. It can feel tight. It rarely gets oily, and it can look bumpy and rough.
- Oily skin is shiny or greasy. It feels wet to the touch, and is often accompanied by big pores. Oily skin can be prone to blemishes.
- Combination skin is typically dry on the cheeks, and oily in the T zone (forehead, nose, and chin).
- Sensitive skin means you may burn easily or have reactions to shifts in the weather. Your skin may sting, burn, or itch skin when using certain products.
- Normal skin is smooth and firm, with medium-sized pores. It’s clear, doesn’t get too oily or too dry, and is not sensitive.
2. Clean Your Skin
Wash your hands before you wash your face to get rid of any bacteria. Wet your face with warm water (to open the pores), and then apply a cleanser in a circular, upward motion. Choose a cleanser that works for your skin type:
- Normal or Combination Skin: Using a gentle facial oil cleanser, wash (don’t scrub), and rinse with warm water. Pat dry. Use a mask regularly.
- Dry Skin: Using a gentle cleanser with no alcohol or fragrance, gently wash your skin, and rinse with warm water (never hot — hot water removes natural oils). Pat dry. Exfoliate one to three times per week.
- Oily Skin: Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water twice a day. Pat dry. Follow up with moisturizer.
- Sensitive Skin: Use a gentle cleanser to wash your face. Rinse with warm water, and pat (never rub) dry. Exfoliating may be too much for your skin.
All skin needs moisturizer — even oily skin — so don’t skip this step. Smooth it into your skin while your face is still damp to seal in the moisture.
4. Apply Sunscreen
5. Greet the Day Fresh-Faced!
This basic skincare routine will leave your face healthy and beautiful. You can also add in exfoliating and an occasional facial cleansing mask to help with removing dead skin cells.
Try Kaiderma’s line of natural and gentle facial products to keep your skin in its best shape.